also home to 'Wold Ranger Railways', a blog about our railway adventures here in Yorkshire and around the UK

WOLD RANGER RAILWAYS - Railway photography around Yorkshire and the UK

Thursday, 31 October 2013

A selection of garden birds

Blue Tit (Nikon D90 / Sigma 150-500mm)
For one reason or another I haven't been able to get out much lately or indeed make use of my little bird hide in the environs of Wold Garth (indeed I haven't been able to use that since spring!) so this post is instead a look back at some of the pics I took during last winter and early spring and will hopefully make up for the fact that my blog has become a bit light as regards bird photography lately. One of the problems with my bird hide is the darkness of the location with large mature trees all around the site and it is for this reason that I only tend to do bird photography in the winter months as in summer the location is in very heavy shade and also becomes somewhat overgrown.

Chaffinch (Nikon D90, Nikkor 70-300mm, f8, 1/100 sec, ISO 800)

Robin (Canon 7D, 400mm, f5.6, 1/800 sec, ISO 2000)

Great Tit (Nikon D90, 70-300mm, f8, 1/60 sec, ISO 800)

Blue Tit at the feeding station (Nikon D90 & 70-300mm)

Wood Pigeon (Nikon D90, 70-300mm, f8, 1/100 sec, ISO 800)

In the coming weeks I will hopefully be clearing the site and getting ready for a new season once most of the leaves have fallen, though if we can find a new home somewhere up on the Wolds, Moors or coast some time soon I may have to change all this of course. Indeed when I go house searching it is the outside which interests me far more than the interior (I would happily forego many creature comforts for a fine view and wildlife on the doorstep) and I was particularly drawn to two properties in the North York Moors recently with one having its own observatory in the garden whereas another house was located high within Cropton Forest with only deer and Nightjars (at least in summer) for neighbours.

Blue Tit during a light fall of snow (Nikon D90, 70-300mm, f5.6, 1/80 sec, ISO 1600)

Sparrowhawk and prey (Canon 7D, 400mm, f5.6, 1/50 sec, ISO 1000)

Coal Tit, one of my favourite garden birds

Robin, amid the winter's snow (Nikon D90, 70-300mm, f8, 1/80 sec, ISO 200)

Blue Tit posing on one of my specially placed perches (Nikon D90, 70-300mm, f8, 1/25 sec, ISO 800)

Returning to Wold Garth the last few days have seen more Redwings turn up in the garden, perhaps a sudden rush after the recent storms and colder weather in northern Europe but nevertheless a welcome sight as the seasons continue to change here in eastern Yorkshire. Pink-footed Geese meanwhile were seen on Tuesday and again this morning heading southwards to wintering sites in not too distant Norfolk though a sign that summer has perhaps not yet deserted us entirely was the spotting of a single Red Admiral fluttering through the garden yesterday afternoon.

Not a bird I know but I just love this Squirrels dirty nose

Love them or loathe them, you have to admire the persistence of these furry critters